Friday, August 15, 2008

The (not so elusive) White Ape

Another day, another Wheat Beer. Ok, ok... I hear you saying "Another one?!?! Sheesh! Apes sure are creatures of habit." You are completely correct in your assessment, I am a creature of habit. I eat bananas every morning, pick fleas off my neighbor Coco, and swing from the same vine every day. But also remember, it's crazy hot here, and I cant be drinking stouts and darker beers in this weather... I just can't! But, with that in mind, i can drink more Pale Ales, IPAs, Ales (Belgian or otherwise. As long as it's not too heavy, of course.)

I had Avery's White Rascal for the first time a long time ago. It's one of the better known wheat beers that come from a microbrew. First of all, as a visual person, I was originally drawn to the label because of both the clever name and the way artwork plays up the character. But once I tasted it, I was a believer in the taste also. The flavors are a bit more complex and subtle than some other more commercial wheat beers (I'm looking at you Blue Moon!) It's got some nice spice and more orange than lemon to me (which I enjoy). If you haven't tried it, go get it. It's pretty easy to find and a relatively affordable buy!

®

1 comment:

carla said...

i will have to try this. the blue moon summer ale is good too. you should hae the brooklyn lager summer ale when you come to ny.